Saturday, May 28, 2016

Dude bins hard drive containing $67,000 in bitcoins


Dude bins hard drive containing $67,000 in bitcoins.

A blunder has seen a bounty of bitcoins binned
A blunder has seen a bounty of bitcoins binned

HAVING A BAD DAY? Forget it, fool, as some chap in America has accidentally thrown away a hard drive with enough bitcoins on it to buy an extravagant car or a whole load of top-of-the-range Apple watches.

Reddit user 'me_is_idiot' told his sorry tale in a post on the site and elicited a lot of sympathy. It is no wonder. What he did is a blunder that should give anyone a sinking feeling in the tummy department.

"This FU started around six years ago when I was a poor college student. I came across this thing called bitcoin, and people were giving them away for free on some websites," he said.

"Everything I read about them said they were going to be the next big thing. Awesome, I'll get myself some of those. Over the course of one semester I'd got around 150 bitcoins, which at the time was worth around $11. What a waste of fucking time!"

Eventually he forgot about the coins, and presumably stopped reading anything about the value and status of bitcoins. He left himself a note about the existence of the virtual money, but clearly had other things on his mind.

"These bitcoins were stored on my laptop. I upgraded my laptop the following semester with more RAM and a bigger superfast 7200 HDD. I wrote a little sarcastic note to myself about the bitcoins and folded it over my old HDD," he explained.

"That was the last time I paid any attention to bitcoin. It wasn't too long before I graduated and started to earn decent(ish) money.

"Fast forward to last month and I'm moving to a smaller apartment (more expensive area), and had to be picky about what I could take. I had an old box of PC parts. I had a quick look through and marvelled at the 256MB RAM sticks, the 40GB HDDs. I even had a few floppy disks! All of it worthless with today's hardware. So in the trash it all went."

Later he found the old note and realised his mistake. "I chuckled to myself for a split second before realising bitcoins are worth a fair bit today, at which point panic set in," he said.

The poor guy has been scratching his head and searching down the back of the armchair. But short of turning over a landfill site, he does not expect to be reunited with his thousands.

"I've been Googling for several hours but it seems I'm fucked. The bitcoins are gone! At least they weren't worth the millions that my idiotic self thought when I first found the note, but that's not much consolation," he added.

"TL;DR earned $11 worth of bitcoin, five years later threw them out when they were worth $67,000!"

source: www.theinquirer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment